Second bus driver on routes serving East Bristol and South Gloucestershire has died from coronavirus

April 17 2020
Second bus driver on routes serving East Bristol and South Gloucestershire has died from coronavirus

A SECOND bus driver based at First’s Lawrence Hill depot has died after contracting coronavirus.

Hussen Mudei had worked for the company for over 18 months, driving on routes in East Bristol and South Gloucestershire served by buses from the depot, including those through St George, Fishponds and Downend.

He had been identified as being in an at-risk group due to underlying health conditions and had been furloughed a few days after the national lockdown was introduced in late March.

Mr Mudei was admitted to hospital on Tuesday of this week and died on Wednesday.

First West of England Bristol operations director Ian Coyle said: “It is with great sadness that we can confirm that Hussen Mudei, one of our part-time drivers, has passed away as a result of the coronavirus.

The loss of a colleague will be felt by all at the Lawrence Hill depot, where Hussen worked, and across our wider business. Our deepest sympathies and condolences go out to his family and friends at this extremely difficult time.

Hussen, who joined the company in August 2017, had been furloughed on 26th March after being identified as at risk due to underlying health conditions. He was admitted to hospital on 14th April and sadly passed away the next day.

This tragic news is a very real reminder of the threat posed by Covid-19 to all of us and the need to follow government guidance at all times. At First West of England we have robust protocols and resources in place to mitigate the spread of the virus across our business and services. This includes the provision of hand gel and gloves to our drivers and actively implementing social distancing both on our buses, by taping off seats, and in our depots.”

Mr Mudei’s death comes just over a fortnight after another First driver based at Lawrence Hill, Martin Egan, died of COVID-19, after being taken ill two weeks earlier.

Mr Egan had worked on the city’s buses for 40 years.